Thursday 27 December 2012

Task 3c Sources of information

The Internet
As we have previously discussed the importance of web 2.0 I have to list the Internet as possibly my most important source.  I use the Internet to promote, connect, search, research, purchase, share and learn.  When I think about how much I use the Internet I wonder how I managed to find auditions when I first graduated and the Internet was not used so much and definitely couldn't be used on my phone! Now if my trusty A-Z of London is failing me, whilst I look for the unusual audition location, I can always use the Internet from my phone to find my way!
Promote; I use websites such as Dance cast and Spotlight, to promote myself as a dancer.  With these websites I have a personal on line profile that employers can view.  When I receive a casting through one of these websites I know my information has already been viewed so the employer should know more about you than with some open auditions.  Whilst using these websites it is important to ensure your profile is always up to date and professional.
Connect; It is important to remain connected with employers, colleagues and friends.  I don't like to view these connections as contrived in anyway, I stay in contact with people I get on with and my friendship is never built from a thought that this person might be able help me.  Websites such a Facebook are ideal for staying in contact with people.  When working abroad and on Cruise ships Facebook has allowed me to maintain my connections.  The other benefit of a website like Facebook is that when working all over the world I have managed to stay connected with friends from different countries.
Search; Search engines such a google are of paramount importance when looking for information.  Many times I have been in the infamous audition queue and overheard or been told about companies.  Being able to search for these companies to gain information is very important to me.
Research; The Internet is brilliant for researching information.  As professionals we are constantly searching for that nugget of wisdom that will set us apart from the rest.  As a performer I like to research companies I am auditioning for or might audition for, character breakdowns for castings, story lines, songs, monologues and shows.  As a student I research subjects and topics we cover on the course.  Of Course websites such as wikipedia and youtube are probably most valuable for my research, but as always we must remain 'Net Savy' when researching and remember not everything we read may have true value or substantial evidence behind it.
Purchase; This may seem an unusual statement but when preparing for an audition or show I often use the Internet to purchase things I will require.  For example backing tracks, sheet music, appropriate clothing and dance shoes.  Preparation is key to success and even if an audition has been sprung on you last minute sheet music can be bought and downloaded immediately from the Internet.
Share; As a dancers I use the Internet to share my profile's, videos, pictures and vocal clips.  Sharing is an important part of promoting yourself as a performer.  As students posting are blogs we are also ahring our views and opinions on the topics we cover.
Learn; I use the Internet in many ways, the result of researching and searching is often learning.  The Internet can and does enrich my learning experiences.  I think this is most easily demonstrated with the way we Bapp students have chosen to study.

Face to Face
I feel often face to face connections can be forgotten but are often more valuable than any other form of networking.  When we speak to people face to face we are often more open and free to give honest opinions.  I tell my friends face to face things I would never post on the Internet, for example if a friend asks me how I enjoyed working with a company I had not had the best experience with, I would not want to share that on the Internet for fear of recrimination, however face to face I could give my honest opinion.  Face to face connections are also important as a greater percentage of our communications are non-verbal.  I believe when speaking to an employer they only get a true sense of who you are when they meet you face to face.  In the same way that a sales person would show a customer what they are selling I think it's important a potential employer gets to meet me.

Literature
Although a greater amount of my research is done on line there are some publications I would not do with out.  Each week I receive 'The Stage' Newspaper, I know many of my friends have saved the annual £100 and opted for the one off payment of £1.99 for the audition app, but I believe the newspaper holds more information.  I still check the website, but each week when I receive the newspaper I am kept up to date with the latest reviews, shows, auditions and general 'goings on' of the industry.  Another publication I could not do without is my annual 'Contacts' book.  Contacts is a book that lists contact information for many companies, casting directors, photographers, colleges, teachers, agencies and agents.  Contacts is released annually and has become my industry version of the bible.  I could not do without Contacts it is a truely valuable resource.

The Media
Keeping up to date with the goings on of the world is absolutely critical to the entertainments industry.  Everytime a big event happens it influences choreographers, directors and writers to create new works.  When we look at the big events from the last year it is easy to see that the world around us changes what people want to see at the theatre. 
For example;

12th February 2012, Whitney Houston dies, 5th December 2012 The Bodyguard opens on London's Westend.

3rd July 2012; Chariots Of Fire opens in the Westend, 27th July 2012, London 2012 Olympic Opening ceremony takes place.

I think keeping up to date with The Media is critical when keeping up to date with the entertainments industry.

Bapp Blogs
As a student studying as a distance learners I would be lost without the Bapp blogs.  With a course like this it is easy to feel you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick and it is so easy to pop online and see that you are approaching things the same way as others.  I use the Bapp blogs to reassure myself but also to discuss the issues and topics that are covered in the course in the same way that students studying directly at a university may discuss their work over a coffee.  It is also a great way of sharing information that others may find useful, many students have added videos or pieces of literature and news articles which have been of interest or opened a new angle of looking at our topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment