Thursday 18 April 2013

5b Ethical framework in the workplace

Looking into the ethical framework and codes of practice that apply to my workplace are both interesting and eye opening.  As many people will do I simply received my handbook at the start of my contract and have not bothered to read it until now. 
There are many codes of practice that reference the behaviour, safety and standards that are expected in the workplace however how many of these steer the ethical framework of the company?  I feel in my previous post I have listed the codes of practice I use on a daily basis but may have missed the ethics behind them?

Mission statement


'To continue to grow this successful business where people love to holiday and people love to work'


Bunn Leisure, 2013, Your guide to working at Bunn Leisure.

This statement says to me that the company not only looks after their customers but also their employees.  In the past as an employee for different companies I have felt that the income of the business has outweighed the want to satisfy their customers and keep their staff happy. 

Health and Safety

In the handbook it states the importance of health and safety in the workplace and the rules and equipment that keeps not only the staff but also the customers able to enjoy a safe environment.  I am sure that many would argue that health and safety rules are not related to ethics, however my personal feelings are anything that keeps staff and customers safe and able to be in a healthy environment is ethical. 

The Oxford dictionary website defines ethics below;

Definition of ethics

noun

  • 1 [usually treated as plural] moral principles that govern a person’s behaviour or the conducting of an activity:medical ethics also enter into the question

  • 2 [usually treated as singular] the branch of knowledge that deals with moral principles: neither metaphysics nor ethics is the home of religion
 
Moral principles that govern a person's behaviour or conducting of an activity, so I feel that endorsing good health and safety can be considered as ethical practice.

 
 Equal Opportunities

I believe it is integral to the ethical framework of any company to take a strong stance on equal opportunities.

'We aim to create a working environment in which all individuals are able to make best use of their skills free from discrimination or harassment and in which all decisions are based on merit'

 Bunn Leisure, 2013, Your guide to working at Bunn Leisure



My expectations

As a self employed performer there are certain expectations that I have to meet;

*Declaration of self employment
*CRB check
*Public Liability insurance.

I would say that these are not only a legal requirement but also ethical requirements as I am not only protecting myself but also the public.  If I was acting illegally and not paying tax this would not only be lawfully wrong but morally wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment