Thursday 2 May 2013

6b, The Pilot Interview

My aim for my first pilot was to conduct a semi-structured interview that allowed my participant to be relaxed and answer my questions openly and honestly.  Before starting I informed my participant as to what the interview was for and how the data collected will be used and ensured he was in agreement.  I prepared for the interview by writing out a list of carefully constructed questions to ensure that I was not 'leading' the interview in any way.  Once my interview was complete and I had written up my answers I asked my respondent to check he was happy with what I had written.

Age - 29
 
Occupation - Production vocalist
 
Current Contract - Holiday park show team
 
Are there times in your career when you have struggled to find a reasonable work/life balance?
 
Yes, there are times when I have had to call off family plans due to last minute rehearsals.
 
Is there something that the company you work for could do to help this situation?
 
No, there is no way around the need for rehearsals, as 'the show must go on'.
 
Where do you see your career heading?
 
I will continue singing part time at freelance events.  I have set up a company with a friend.
 
Where do you feel you can turn for careers advice?
 
I think the best advice comes from my peers, I could also use equity.
 
Are you able to plan financially for your future?
 
Yes because I have an Isa, but I don't have a pension plan.  It concerns my family more than it concerns me.  I think as a performer I live a very 'Peter Pan' lifestyle.
 
Would you like your own family in the future?
 
Yes
 
How do you feel your career would fit in with a family life?
 
If I had a family now it would put too much pressure on my partner.  This lifestyle is not conducive to family life.  My long term plans for my business will allow for family commitments. 
 


I think that the interview process will be the most helpful for my inquiry.  The benefit of interview over survey is that you can adapt your questions as you go to get more information from the respondent.  I conducted my interview in a relaxed environment that meant that my respondent could answer the questions calmly and without any pressure.  I believe ensuring you have the correct setting for this type of research is an integral part of the process. 

When it comes to planning my research for my inquiry I will definitely be using interviews.  I would like to add more questions and once I have evaluated my responses conduct a further interview to gather more information.  I think that interview will be the most beneficial research tool and so I aim to use this method the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment