Friday 3 May 2013

6b, Pilot Observations

I am currently unsure as to how observations would fit into my inquiry research.  I raised this issue with my SIG and it was agreed that observation may not be a tool that suits my particular inquiry needs.  It was suggested that I could look to literature such as autobiographies or write about situations I have experienced through my career.  On this line of thought I contacted an ex colleague and asked if she would mind me writing about her experiences, which she agreed to;

During a previous contract and ex colleague and friend of mine fell pregnant.  The pregnancy was unplanned and quite a shock for her and her husband.  It also left her with uncertainty as to how she would be able to work as she could no longer continue her Dancer/Dance captain role.  She had worked with the company for a number of years and they decided to offer her a position assisting the current production manager.  My colleague took to this role well and it eased the pressure for her, and her husband, knowing she would have a wage and paid maternity leave. 
 
I considered at the time that she was quite lucky to have to co operation of the company as she was a seasonal employee. 
 
My colleague has never returned to a full time dance contract as now she needs more secure work.  She has however continued to work freelance for various tribute acts that fit around her families needs.

Although this is just an experience that I can write about, it would be valuable for me to follow this up with an interview.  Interviewing about a specific event I have witnessed would need to be carried out with sensitivity, however it would be a good way of engaging with my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment