Thursday 8 November 2012

Journal entries

My initial thoughts on writing a journal were that I had never written a journal before.  Looking back though I have realised that it is not true. 

When I was about ten years old I struggled (as many little sisters do!) to hold my temper with my older sister.  My Mom suggested I kept a diary and wrote down what had happened that had made me so angry and how I could stop myself getting to that point in future.  Although I'm sure my entries were probably not that mature or very kindly written, it was a basis for looking at what I had done that day and how I would deal with these situations in the future.  Although I would still describe myself as quite a fiery person, I definately do not have the temper I used too.

I have found the easiest way to write in my journal has been the description/reflection method, however I have often made bullet points on what I have learnt from the day.  For example:

Sunday 4th November

After writing about my first day of rehearsals for a Christmas show, here were my bullet points on how to move forward to the next day of rehearsals.

*Preperation - I should have spent more time with the CD on getting to grips with the music and my solo songs then I would have started the day feeling more confident. (I had only listened to the rehearsal CD's in the car)

*Concentration - I find my concentration wavers after lunch.  What can I do to keep my concentration level up? In the past I have used a homeopathic concentration spray that has really worked.  I think I need to find it for next week!

*Warm up/Cool down - At this stage in my career I should be more disciplined with myself, especially as at the moment I have a back injury.

Another day that was interesting was yesterday.  I had been working on my blog in the morning and had read the reader on reflective practise.  During my lunch break before work I had the BBC news on and saw an interesting article on a secondary school.  The school had discovered a mural that dated back to just after the second world war and had been meticulously uncovered.  The mural was originally designed to encourage children to participate in art.  This item had stuck in my head and I even wrote about it in my journal last night.  It has captured my imagination because I really feel it has a strong connection to reflective practise.  The teachers had a decision to make, paint over it or uncover it.  In deciding to uncover the mural they can look back on why it was put there and what it meant to the children learning at the time.  In thinking about this, those teachers can look at their own practise and draw comparisons with the past.  Maybe they can learn something from looking back to when the mural was painted?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this - would like to hear your views on other techniques outlined in the Reader on Reflective Practice - you are an extremely active busy person who needs to make time for reflection and consider how it can transform your practice and deepen your self knowledge and knowledge about your work

    ReplyDelete