Monday 26 November 2012

Task 2d Inquiry

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to learn more? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

I have always loved to sing from a really young age, however the technique and restrictions of lessons have at some times hampered my feelings of enjoyment.  Whilst at College singing lessons were often in large groups and I never felt truly confident with my voice to get the most from the class.  Since leaving college I worked consistently as a Singer/Dancer however since 2009 my contracts have more often been solely dance contracts.  Once I finished my last contract in 2011 for Carnival Cruise Lines I decided to take some time at home to be with my sister in the final stages of her pregnancy and to meet my new niece. During this time at home I wanted to find a singing teacher so I could gain some real technique and a better understanding of my voice and how to care for it whilst on a contract.  Finding a singing tutor was not an easy task as I really wanted someone who would understand me and where I am at this moment in time.  I was armed with a list of numbers, however the first lady I spoke to just seemed to understand what I was saying and what I required.  I booked in my first lesson and have never looked back. 
Ali Sharpe (www.alisharpe.co.uk) has a passion for singing like no other person I have ever worked with.  Her enthusiasm is contagious and my weekly singing lessons are often the highlight of my week.  When there are times I don't understand, Ali will adapt and find a new way of teaching.  I have never learnt so quickly as I have from her and I am finding that I am finally getting to grips with my audition nerves as a result of my lessons. Ali is a passionate, hard working,  kind, creative person who understands the frustration performers often feel as a result of auditions or lack of them! I think her mission statement on her website (www.alisharpe.co.uk) says everything;

'I aim to help people realise their musical potential by the development of their voice. Apart from the sheer joy of it, singing can create greater self-confidence and a more positive approach to life. Whether you are aiming to win a national TV talent contest, get the lead parts in your local operatic company, or just want to have fun, I can help'
 
 
 Singing makes me feel enthusiastic.  Through music you can often convey how you are feeling more freely than with words.  Working with Ali has reignited my passion for singing and opened up a world of knowledge and information.  I look forward to my weekly lessons as I learn something new each time.  I admire Ali's passion for singing but I also admire her as a person and as a teacher.  She is a very kind hearted person, which allows her pupils to open up to her and try out new things.


What gets you angry or makes you sad?  Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger?

I often feel frustrated by the entertainments industry.  Constantly being told you are, to fat, to thin, to tall, to short, to blonde, not blonde enough........ could test the patience of a saint! Many times you are invited to an audition by companies who have viewed your CV, with all your details on it, and then told you are, 'too short for this contract but we'll bear you in mind from the future'. Companies often don't seem to understand that nearly everyone at the audition has had to pay for a bus ticket or train ticket and missed a day of work to attend.  Now I know to get jobs you must attend auditions and I accept that, however when a company knows all your details it is frustrating beyond belief to be deemed, 'too short!' In an audition situation, 'we'll put you on our books' is the most frustrating statement of all! You know that after being at the audition all day, working really hard and showing the company everything you have to offer, that one statement means you will never hear from this company again!

Someone who shares my annoyance of the statement, 'we'll put you on our books' is my best friend Lisette Foster.  Many times we've shared a post audition coffee and talked about the frustrations of the day.  However I now feel that Lisette has moved on from this. 

In 2010 I watched Lisette perform in a contemporary show, 'A Modern Romance' by Sebastian Rex dance company, at the Blue Elephant Theatre in Camberwell. I have never seen Lisette look more beautiful or happy (except for her wedding day in 2009).  As a contemporary dancer she seemed to comfortable in her own skin and watching her dance really brought a tear to my eye.  I feel that Lisette has moved on from the frustrations of  auditions and the way performers are viewed and has reached a point in her career where she makes decisions that work for her. Lisette makes decisions that suit her life, family and career, she never worries what others think. 

I admire Lisette because she is my best friend and a truly wonderful person but I also admire her as a dancer.  We have been friends since 2001 when we started at Stella Mann College together and in all the years I have seen Lisette dance she has never been a better performer than she is now.  Lisette shared my frustration and anger about the industry and the way dancers are treated, but she has now moved on and it truly shows in her work.

Here is the review of Modern Romance published in, 'The Stage'

www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/28280/modern-romance-ellebrity

Naughty - Modern Romance/Sellebrity

Published Thursday 20 May 2010 at 11:26 by Barbara Lewis
Boy meets girl in innocence, then worldly forces intervene. It’s the oldest of stories, but, under Sebastian Rex’s direction, his Modern Romance takes the form of a stylish and gracefully surprising, sometimes perverse dance.
Between Christopher Hall as Kasin and Lisette Foster as Kasina, the chemistry is perfect until the arrival of F (Kate Chisholm), who pulls their invisible strings.
Matthew Crouzieres and Jo Sadler-Lovett as the Pink and Orange Fairies respectively inject hoodie, mean street brutality and vitality, while the fluid dance moves include Kasina treading lightly on Kasin and Kasin hooking a tender foot around his partner’s neck.
Part two, Sellebrity, continues the modern romance theme, but a radical transition takes us from the abstraction of movement to shrill, hysterical female fans gushing words.
Once the audience adjusts to the high pitch it’s hilarious and a cheeky complement to the first half that makes for a satisfying, entertaining whole, while the sympathy flow retains attention - at first victim, the ensnared pop star (Ido Gonen) is ultimately a collaborator.



What do you love about what you do?  Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?
The thing I love most about my job is delivering consistent high quality performances.  Dancing gives me the biggest buzz I could ever imagine and I love seeing an audience enjoy themselves.  In the current climate many people are having to cut back on nights out and entertainment.  When people do decide to go out for the evening they expect to get what they are paying for. 
I currently work freelance for Material World (www.tashaleaper.co.uk) .  Material World is a Maddonna tribute show by Tasha Leaper.  Tasha is an outstanding performer who is absolutely professional in every way.  I have never performed or watched a Material World show when Tasha has not given one hundred percent, even when she is unwell the audience would never tell.  I admire Tasha because she is not only a consummate professional but she also balances her home life with her two baby girls. 

What do you feel you don't understand?  Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding  interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?
There are times when I feel I don't understand the entertainments industry as a whole.  Performers seem to be pigeon holed and set into brackets they can't break free from.  For example, petite dancers are often viewed as more dynamic and punchier than taller dancers where as taller dancers are viewed as more flexible and better show girls, this may not always be the case.  Surely as performers versatility should be our main focus? Shouldn't we stop pigeon holing people and learning about what they can achieve? Why can't a shorter dancer be considered flexible? Or a tall dancer be a great, dynamic, commercial dancer? A performer may not have bags of natural talent but may work so hard that they become a great technician, if they are viewed as not 'naturally talented' they can often be overlooked. 
As a child I was often overlooked for performances and competitions as i was not 'naturally talented', I worked so hard to become a technical strong dancer but could not break out of the pigeon hole I had been put in by certain companies I danced with.  My dance teacher continued to remind me that if I headed back to the barre I would get there in the end.  When I turned fourteen I started looking into vocational training and was absolutely determined to succeed.  My first few knock backs seemed hard at the time but I moved on from them.  At this time I was given Darcey Bussell's autobiography, 'A Dancer's Life' and I really connected with her story. 
Darcey Bussell (www.darceybussell.com) was not a 'natural dancer' she also didn't have the background you would expect from a principal dancer with the Royal Ballet, however she worked so hard that her talent could not be ignored.  In her book she describes how she didn't always understand the industry or the way it worked but truly believed that not understanding it could work to your advantage.  Some people may know the 'right people' or be in the 'right place at the right time' others may have to do things differently, neither is wrong or right, we all have to make our own way.  Sometimes perhaps not understanding is what can keep us persevering?  For example if you knew that in the audition you are attending they were only needing to cast two girls you may feel like there is no point in attending, however as a performer you always have to believe that today will be the day.  Not every dancer will end up with a career like Darcey Bussells however maybe reading about how hard they had to work and the adversity they had to fight against can help us all keep believing?

Moving Forward
Moving forward from this task I feel there are some questions I need to ask myself.  Where is my career heading? What am I hoping to achieve in the future? How can I use the information I have received to help others starting out in the industry?  I don't have the answers to these questions at the moment but I am determined to explore them and look at all my options.  I have learnt so much since starting the course that I feel as I progress these lines of enquiry will open up all sorts of new doors for me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment