Wednesday 7 November 2012

The story behind my flickr photographs

Paula commented on my flickr photographs and asked me to share a few thoughts on my work that is featured there.

My work has been very varied, I started working in hotels and resorts in Tenerife and then Greece.  These were both similar jobs and it has always interested me how different nationalities react to shows.  For example German audiences are always far more engaged with a show than Russians for example.  I think this is because the theatre industry is still thriving in Germany, much more than in the UK.
In Tenerife I worked for 'Park Club Europe'.  Their were four Dancers that performed in the shows with members of the entertainments team that ran all the activities during the days.  The performance team didn't have to do any daytime activities however we did have to work the same hours.  Our days were taken up rehearsing, choreographing and assisting with costumes.  'Park Club Europe' had it's own show lounge with purpose built stage.  It was a relaxed atmosphere and guests sat at tables rather than traditional theatre seating.  The only time we had any problems was when it rained as our dressing room was outside the venue and in Tenerife when it rains it pours!
My next contract was at Sani Resort.  The production team consisted of four female dancers, two male dancers and one male singer.  We had three venues where we performed, an amphitheatre, show bar and theatre.  I loved performing in the amphitheatre, there is something really magical about performing outdoors however the forty degree heat sometimes made the other airconditioned venues more appealing!  The show bar had relaxed table seating and the guests had waitress service for drinks during the shows. The final venue was the theatre which was more formal with rows of seats,  Guests were more attentive to the shows as they had no other distractions!
From working in these resorts I then went on to a predominantly British Cruise liner.  This ship was lovely because the audiences knew who we were and would always congratulate us after shows.
The theatre was more like an amphitheatre because the stage was a dance floor and the seating was raked up from there.  This was the first time I performed with a live band and I really feel live music brings a new dimension to performance.  One of our shows was 'Back To The Barracks,' it showed World War 2 through the music and dance.  It featured items like Churchill's speeches and the bomb sirens.  I loved this show because it was so patriotic and emotional to perform.  Most of our audience had lived through the war and often would be in tears by the finale, which was of course 'Land of Hope and Glory'.  The audience were invited to join us wearing their red white and blue and given union flags to wave.  The finale of this show was always a personal highlight and I often had a few tears in my eyes by the end.  It never ceases to amaze me how much music can release emotions we try so hard to bottle up.
From the ships I went on the work at Butlins for two years.  I performed in the 'Centre Stage' venue which was a large 2,000 seater lounge with bars, gift shops and food vendours along the sides.  Guests were sat at tables and all our shows were shown on large screens in case they couldn't get a good view of the stage. The shows at Butlins were aimed at a much younger audience and often featured other artists such as break dancers, african gymnasts, x factor finalists and once a performing dog!  The performances at Butlins were always well recieved and often we would be greeted at the stage door like celebrities!
My next adventure was onboard Carnival Cruise lines 'Paradise' liner.  The shows were perfomed in a large, eloborately decorated theatre. Our performances had a strong American theme running through them, finishing our Country Show with, 'I'm Proud To Be An American' always had the audience cheering!  I enjoyed working for Carnival, however our schedule was very demanding.  Performing two shows a night, six days a week took it's toll on my body and mind and when I came home after seven months I was in much need of a rest!
Looking back at these contracts I see them with slightly different eyes than at the time.  All the audiences I've performed too have  been on Holiday so have always been in a good mood to start the evening. 
The resorts always have a calm air to them.  Often the theatres are out doors and I really feel this helps people be at ease. Some guests may not attend the theatre so it's nice to be able to give them an opportunity to see something different.
At Butlins people are often just there for a weeekend so feel they need to make the most of their time away.  This always make them more engaged in  the shows and I really feel the shows themselves were created with the audiences in mind.  Often members of the audience would send gifts to the backstage for us as a token of their appreciation.  We would often volunteer to do extra photoshoots for our regular visitors and bring autograph books backstage for the whole cast to sign.  We really were given the celebrity treatment at times!
Cruise ships always hold a special place in my heart though.  The audiences see you around the vessel, often helpig out with activities such as bingo,so the guests really get to know you. Hearing feedback about the shows and the memories these shows evoke has always been an important part of my job.  I know how music makes and performing makes me feel.  It is always amazing to hear how that has made someone else feel and sometimes makes you realise that your job is worthwhile and meaningful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,
    I was just reading through your blog and noticed that like me you have worked for Mirage on the cruise ship Boudicca, it is such a small world and it's funny to think that at different times we were learning the same shows and maybe even wearing the same costumes. Just thought i'd say hi. I really enjoy reading your blog. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, the entertainments world is very small. I loved working for Wendy, our shows were, Showstoppers, Summer Holiday, fabulous thirties, Back to the Barracks and tropical fiesta. When I worked for Mirage Tracey Kimberley was the choreographer.
      I'm glad you enjoy reading my blog, feel free to add comments XX

      Delete