Wednesday 9 October 2013

Module 3 Campus session one

Last weeks campus session was the first I have been able to attend since starting Bapp.  Not only was it nice to finally meet everyone but it was also good to see where everyone was in their inquiry process.

We started with looking at concept drawings.  Firstly we had to draw growth and then later inquiry, without drawing anything in particular.  For growth I drew a series of arrows that formed from one point, my aim was to show that growth can take us in many directions and not necessarily the way you planned.  I found the idea of concept drawing quite helpful as I often schedule study time and get a writers block about how to start, trying a concept drawing in my learning journal could be a way of overcoming that?

Once we split off into module groups we began to discuss our inquiry topics.  Being able to talk about my inquiry and where I currently am on my research was particularly useful as it showed me where my strengths and weaknesses are.  Literature has been one area that I have struggled with as many of the articles I have found have been relatively informal.  Talking to the group made me realise that Hayley and I are following similar threads of research so will be able to share literature and ideas on our topics. 

Paula explained the My Library section of myunihub and how to use it.  I know this tool will be helpful to me whilst seeking new literature to review.  Sarah also suggested Google alerts which will send you a note when a new article relating to your research is added.

At the end of the session Alan asked the module one students if there was anything they wanted to ask us.  It was interesting to see that they feel exactly how I felt starting the course and how I even feel now.  I think being overwhelmed is part of the learning experience, it's about how you deal with those feelings and move forward to understanding.  If I'm honest I  feel completely overwhelmed at times, however I feel at the moment I have everything ready to go I just need to formulate these pages and pages of notes and scribbles into something useful.

Moving forward I want to make a sound study plan.  I want to set attainable goals and plan a schedule that fits around my workload.  I appreciate that sometimes unavoidable things will get in the way of that schedule, such as rehearsals etc, but having those goals will hopefully keep me on track.  Paula suggested trying to allow a month for analysis, I'm not sure I can manage to allow a whole month but I am going to try.  Nearly two weeks have gone of module three so I need to ensure time does not slip away from me.  I also want to make better use of my learning journal and blog.  There is a risk that I will spend so long formulating ideas and research that I will forget to share my thoughts, and as I said before, that's part of the learning journey!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi! I think you're exactly right that being overwhelmed is part of the learning experience. I always have parts of the module whereby I just feel panic and don't even know where to start but once I calm down and put things in order I realise it's all manageable! I think the main thing is to try and keep on top of things like we were discussing the other day..if we do little bits at a time hopefully it will make things less overwhelming.

    With regards to giving a month for analysis I think we can analyse as we go on.. For example I am sending out my surveys first and will analyse them as I am preparing for my observations and interviews, as I hope that the findings from my surveys may influence some questions I wish to ask participants.

    As always, these are just my rambling thoughts! Hope planning is going well for you and you're feeling calm so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about analysing as we go, I just want to make sure I have allowed that time so I don't end up behind. The next step for me is to prepare that plan!! I have just had my next rehearsal schedule through which isn't too bad! How are you getting on?

      Delete
    2. Yep, totally! That's good that your rehearsal schedule is ok..and now you have it I suppose you can work round it!? I did a plan as part of my module 3 work which I have kept the same so that's been useful! I've got my consent forms sorted and have messaged people to let them know when the survey will be up too so they have warning! Also been going through some lit today sooo finally starting to feel like I'm back in the swing of things!!

      Delete
    3. You just made me panic as you seem further along than me!!!! need to get in gear!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for filling me in on the campus session (couldn't make it unfortunately) As seen on Clare's blog too, I really like the idea of concept drawings and I shall give one a go myself to see what I end up with!
    Yes it can all be overwhelming at times and I too feel I have to much to think about sometimes. Your aim to create a sound study plan sounds an excellent idea and by sticking to it you will be able to tick each section off at a time and know you're getting the job done!
    I too worry about being so caught up in my own research and work that I will miss out on commenting on others. Maybe we all need to give each other reminders and boosts to help one another along the way for this final module?!
    I like Sarah's suggestion of Google alerts - I shall have to look into that one!

    Thanks again for the informative blog, I'll keep an eye out for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's always getting past the initial feeling of 'what the hell am I going to write' and concept drawings definitely hep with that. I thinks if I map out what I need to achieve each week it is going to keep me on track. I'm definitely keen on reminders, it would be good if we could all keep each other on track because this module is a bit more free.
      Am I right in thinking you are in Brighton now? I'm in Chichester until January so if you want to meet up for a study session or travel to campus sessions just let me know x

      Delete
  3. Hi Mimi,
    Thanks so much for the feedback from the campus session. I have a temporary teaching assistant job until March, so I didn't dare ask for a day off as I'm hoping I get kept on. I rely so much on other students feedback from the sessions and I am so grateful to you for yours.
    One site that I've found to be useful is google scholar, I have found lots of good research articles that helped in my last module.
    I'm stressing as usual as I currently have 4 jobs and no time, hoping it calms down a bit soon. Why do jobs all come along at once??, maybe I should have researched that for my inquiry:):) :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jobs in this industry are a bit like buses! will you be at next week's campus session?
      I used google scholar last module too but I believe that the uni library 'summon' will be more beneficial after Paula's explanation of how it works. I will post a blog on how I get on with it! I'm following your blog so I look forward to seeing how your inquiry progresses, mimi x

      Delete