Monday 22 October 2012

Task 1a second draft

I decided aged eight I was going to be a professional dancer and have never changed my mind since that day.  I was fortunate enough to gain a place at Stella Mann College London aged sixteen where i trained for three years and gained my National Diploma in Musical Theatre. 

Since graduating my career as a dancer has taken me to many wierd and wonderful places.  My career started in Tenerife where I worked at Park Club Europe in their professional team.  After Tenerife I went to Greece to perform at Sani Resort with choreographer Tracey Kimberly.  I learnt a lot working with Tracey and she encouraged me to look for cruise jobs.  My career then took me to MV Boudicca working for Mirage productions.  Having worked at sea for seven months I was ready for some time on land.  I worked for Butlins Minehead in their Show team and worked with many fantastic choreographers including Gary Lloyd and Carole Todd.  I stayed at Butlins for two years and enjoyed every minute of my time there. 

After a few months at home 2010 took me back to Greece to work with Tracey again.  Once home I started doing some freelance work with 'Material World' a Maddona tribute act which I absolutely love. 

Last year took me to America onboard the Carnival Paradise where i performed for seven months.  2012 has been a slower year for me as I have had some time out to meet my new baby niece and have some much needed time at home.  I have continued to work freelance for 'Material World' and will be starting rehearsals soon for a Christmas show in Bournemouth. 

I am now at a point in my career where I am starting to look to the time when I will no longer be performing.  I hope one day to work for the arts council promoting dance and performing arts to children and young people who may not have previously had the oportunity.  Gaining my BA Honours in Professional Practise will help me achieve this goal.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle having a look at your first draft, it looks great and I feel like I am reading a big part of your life when you were performing. It would be nice to see a few more spaces between sentences in your draft for e.g. starting a new paragraph when you go on another journey through your performing career showing the year, this would be cool to show where you started a new journey.
    It would be good to also know what you would like to do in the future and where you feel the degree in professional practice will lead you.
    I hope that helps, please leave any comments about changes I could make to mine, I think were both in the same position where were just finding our feet to get started on the course.
    Thanks Isla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isla, I'm going to work on a second draft I think you're right in your comments. I'll let you know once i've posted it X

    ReplyDelete