Thursday 25 October 2012

Task 1b Professional Communication Technologies

My initial thoughts on the reader where how overwhelming it all seems.  As time has passed and I have absorbed more of the information I am beginning to see it all in a different light.  The idea of collaboration is actually one which we use every day.  Facebook has more than 400 million active users, fifty percent of active users log onto facebook every day and an average user shares seventy pieces of content every month so actually web 2.0 has become part of our every day lives.  We rarely even log onto a computer to update status's and share photos, most of us do this remotely by the facebook app on our mobile phones.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics


When we look back at web 1.0 where the creator shares with the reader it all seems a bit old fashioned.  As technology advances and we can access the internet more and more remotely web 2.0 in it's current form will evolve quickly and advance.  It does pose the question, 'What will web 3.0 be and how will we look back on web 2.0 in it's current form?'

The part of the reader that particularly caught my imagination was the idea that web 2.0 can be described as 'Remix Culture'.  Originating from the hip hop world the idea of 'Remix Culture'  means that material can be re used and re arranged. This is an explanation that I can more easily understand.  This idea also suggests that there is never a final point as ideas can freely evolve.

The only idea that I struggle with is that this is relatively unregulated.  Democratisation encourages the user to take control of production and the access others have to data.  Obviously users must act within the terms and conditions of the website but where are the lines drawn when people post prejudice opinions?  How do we as the reader understand the difference between fact and opinion?

Having digested all this information my final opinions are more about myself and the way I should be using web 2.0.  Professionally I am not using web 2.0 to it's full potential. I mean of course it's nice to share pictures of cute cats and my little niece but these posts don't benefit me professionally. Why am I not using these tools to their full capacity? Why have I not used web 2.0 to put my show reel, head shots and Cv out there? I think sometimes we accept technology and the way it develops but don't question the way it works or how we can use it ourselves.



http://www.flickr.com/photos/stabilo-boss/93136022/sizes/o/

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you here, things seem to evolve to quickly these days it's hard to keep up and furthermore, even if we think we are keeping up, there is so much more out there that we could take advantage of. I too, have been thinking alot about the fact I should use web 2.0 more professionally...it's an easy way to advertise classes for example without spending a lot of money on leaflets etc. However, I think it's important to make your work stand out..think about how many times you get invited to a group on facebook about somebody's zumba classes, you can get so sick of seeing the same things that you don't even read it. This is why we need to explore new tools and make ours the best ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare, yes I agree, making our product (be it ourselves or our buisiness ventures) stand out from the crowd can be hard. Making use of the full range of tools could give any buisiness the 'wow' factor. For example rather than just creating another page inviting people to a zumba class why not send round a video of your class and what you do, this would capture peoples imagination and give them a true idea of what is being offered. I had never thought about the financial side either, producing leaflets and advertising in newspapers could get pretty costly!

    ReplyDelete